tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Proposed mod_jk logging patch
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 16:43:51 GMT
I have noticed that mod_jk logging about a dead server is overtly
verbose in some circumstances.

If you use it to load balance over a number of servers and one is dead
you'll get several lines of error logging every time it retries the
server (to see if it's alive yet).  This can get rather obnoxious when
you're balancing over a number of ports which may or may not have a
server listening at the time -- and when you're allowing retries of dead
servers with any frequency.

The attached patch changes the level of such logging to debug for
retries of a worker known to be in an error state, leaving the level at
error for other cases.  The result is that you get error logging when a
server is first determined to be unavailable -- and then are simply not
bothered about this any longer.

Is there any chance of merging this patch into mod_jk?  The current
level of log verbosity just isn't acceptable in cases where one is load
balancing over a sparsely populated range of server ports, for instance.

--
Jess Holle

P.S. I already proposed a similar patch for mod_proxy_balancer/ajp.
There appear to be additional issues there (having to do with load
balancing getting "stuck" on a subset of the members), however, which
are pushing us back to mod_jk anyway.