tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <kkoli...@apache.org>
Subject Coding Guidelines, encodings, keywords
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 00:35:44 GMT
Hi, all!

Are there any Coding Guidelines that we ought to follow,
or is our project on our own there?

I am interested in clarifying the following question:
What is the character encoding for our sources.

Our build scripts do not specify an explicit encoding yet,
and, as I heard, some months ago the build environment for our releases
changed from some western Windows to Linux with a locale using UTF-8 encoding.

I would like to draw your attention that there is such SVN keyword as $Date$,
that expands to UTF-8 string containing localized month and day of week names.

E.g.:
$Revision: 776947 $ $Date: 2009-05-21 08:33:21 +0400 (Чт, 21 май 2009) $

That makes the files that use that keyword de-facto UTF-8 on
non-English locales.

More on svn keywords:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.props.special.keywords.html

A workaround would be to either limit the string width (e.g. $Date::
2009-05-21 08:33:21 #$)
or to use $Id$ instead.

Do we officially acknowledge that the sources are UTF-8?

What explicit encoding should be specified in javac and javadoc tasks
in our build files?
ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 ?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko