tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From anas Ahmed <anas-ah...@msn.com>
Subject [GSOC] Filters & Async Support in Servlet 3.0
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 06:45:03 GMT

Hello all,
As i have  read from Servlet 3.0 specification about filters "A Filter and the target servlet
or resource at the end of the filter chain must execute in the same invocation thread".

This mean if there are many Async Requests which are connected to filters, many filters will
be init but  not destroyed until response come back or filter work finish.
As we know Tomcat uses thread per request through Java NIO.
More simultaneous requests(connected to filters) cause more threads to be consumed, which
cancels out the benefit of the thread-per-request approach to a high degree.

This is my understanding  please correct to me if there are mistake?
Anas Ahmed

Rediscover HotmailĀ®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you.