tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From anas Ahmed <anas-ah...@msn.com>
Subject RE: my proposal for "re implement tomcat valves as filters"
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 06:43:15 GMT

> Mark Thomas wrote :
>

> Feedback:
> Good first draft. There are a coupe of areas I would like to see more detail on:
>
>    1. Impact of Servlet 3 and async processing.

Lack of asynchronous support in the Servlet 2.5 specification has caused
server vendors to devise workarounds by weaving proprietary classes
and interfaces that promote scalable Comet programming into
the Servlet 2.5 API.As Servlet 3 support async processing,
I think there is no need to Comet programming
(CometEvent, CometFilter, CometFilterChain, CometProcessor,
CometEventImpl, CometConnectionManagerValve classes are no longer needed).
I think others features like annotations will not be useful

>    2. The filter requires a ServletContext at initialisation. How might you
>       handle this for a filter defined at the Engine/Host level?

My idea to handle this is as follow - tracks other component that can be defined at Context
and Host,
for example  HttpServlet (<servlet> </servlet> tag).- read HttpServlet implantation
and specification, then try to make
implementation to FilterClass implement  Filter interface, same as
HttpServlet, so Filter can be defined at host level.
Then try to make necessary modification on Filter to wide it at Engine level.
>    3. Authentication will require access to Tomcat internals. Is a filter the
>       right solution for these valves? What might a better approach be? What
>       about JSR 196?
still searching , can you explain more.

> I would also suggest you spend a little time to build Tomcat from source
> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk). Once you have Tomcat building,
> I'd suggest looking at the AccessLogValve and how that might be converted to a
> Filter to give you a better ide of the issues involved and how long things might
> take.
i will do but there is no lot time ,Friday is the last day for submit proposal ,what is the
necessary modifications to add them to proposal ?

finally how many students will work in this project?

Thanks
Anas Ahmed