tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Anas Ahmed <anas-ah...@msn.com>
Subject RE: [GSOC] Filters & Async Support in Servlet 3.0
Date Sun, 05 Apr 2009 06:44:29 GMT

Two Scenarios of thread per request :-
1- if the request send  directly to server without filter:-
When a connection is idle between requests, the thread can be recycled, and the connection
is
                        placed in a centralized NIO select set to detect new requests without
consuming a separate thread.

2- if the request chain to filter :-
when a connection is idle between requests , the thread is still allocated to the particular
request since the servlet 3.0 specification says :"A Filter and the target servlet or resource
at the end of the filter chain must execute in the same invocation thread"
It is look like thread per connection.

 if that is false
what do you understand from this sentence :"A Filter and the target servlet or resource at
the end of the filter chain must execute in the same invocation thread" ??

I wrote proposal for the second project "improve the JMX  support within Apache Tomcat"
i'm waiting for your feedback
and i need your advice about which project i have to put my focus because i'm student and
the time is valuable
Anas