tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: GSOC: Convert current Tomcat valves to Servlet Filters, I revised my project plan based on the comments of Mark
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2009 22:36:11 GMT

On Apr 4, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Xie Xiaodong wrote:

> Hello, Dear All,
>   First, thank you very much for you valuable comments, Mark.
>   I've revised my project plan based on the comments of Mark, since
> I could
> not edit my proposal any longer, I wrote the revised version of
> project plan
> in a comment of my proposal, you can find it for certain by
> searching the
> "Show Student Proposal" page with "xiaodong xie wrote". Sorry for this
> inconvenience.
>   I am now getting myself familiar with the Servlet Container
> Profile of
> JSR-196 in order to move the Authentication funcationality of valve
> into
> some independent structure consistence with JSR-196. This part will
> be added
> into my project proposal in some comment later.
>   Any more comments, feedback and criticism to my proposal are
> welcomed.

While it is possible to implement the built in auth methods (BASIC,
DIGEST,  FORM, CLIENT_CERT) as jaspi auth modules it's not as
efficient as having a more tomcat-specific auth method.  The important
part is really having a validate request method called before the web
resource constraint check and a secure response method called after
the request has been processed.  There are a lot of opportunities for
improved caching if you don't follow the jaspi model exactly, mostly
by letting the authenticator return the user identity rather than
passing in a brand new Subject instance for each request.

I recommend that the valve or filter look something like this:

check user data constraints
Status status = validate request
if (status == success) {
   check web resource constraints
   process request
   secure response
}
//otherwise the validate request  call will have set up an appropriate
response to continue the authentication message exchange

"validate request" and "secure response" are delegated to some kind of
authenticator similar to but more efficient than a jaspi auth context

constraint checking can either be (abstract) methods on the (base)
valve or delegated to some other object.  The point here is to easily
support both constraint based checking (as done in tomcat today) and
jacc based permission checking (as done in geronimo and presumably
other javaee integrations such as jboss)

thanks
david jencks