tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <henri.go...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Remove older of the two BIO AJP connectors
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:16:57 GMT
> I am saying the exact same thing - we shouldn't add another protocol, it was
>
> a mistake to even have AJP proto in the first place, and we shouldn't
> attempt
> to extend it.
>
> However we do need some form of communication between tomcat and jk -
> what AJP provides won't allow much. And what I was suggesting is to not
> do another protocol - but find an existing one and use/adapt it.

Another solution could be :

- just use HTTP between HTTPd/IIS and Tomcat to forward request.

- add some special HTTP requests on Tomcat to get informations about
load or live topology.

ie:

When a new Tomcat enter a 'named' cluster group, others should get the
informations and should be able to deliver to HTTPd/IIS with just
simple HTTP requests
so no need to add the multicast support in HTTP/IIS. There is allready
cluster middleware in TC (tribes) to do this.

Same thing when a Tomcat shutdown or exit a 'named' cluster group.

A good idea will be to provide a simple/default Tomcat load servlet
but let people override or provide their own.
In many uses, it's not the number of threads or Tomcat CPUs load which
should be counter but for example remote SQL load.

Just an idea