tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: gsoc project - Tomcat proxy [query]
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:31:43 GMT
A Tomcat-based reverse proxy with a pluggable load balancer would be
/huge/ in my opinion.

Having to resort to Apache (or a hardware load balancer) to distribute
load across multiple Tomcats is /really /unfortunate.

What's needed is a high-performance Java-based proxy load balancer that
makes it easy to get at the balancing algorithm.  This should support
use cases like balancing new requests to the backend that currently has
the fewest active sessions or to avoid any backend which is in a
low-memory state, for instance.

Trying to hack this sort of thing into mod_proxy_balancer or mod_jk is
just so much harder than doing this sort of thing in Java.  Plus there's
the benefit of "build once run anywhere", i.e. cross-platform binaries.

--
Jess Holle

P.S. Caching at this level is quite uninteresting to me -- but could
seemingly be added via servlet request filters assuming the reverse
proxy was itself done as a servlet.  Ideally the reverse proxy would
even be portable across servlet engines and designed for exposure via
JMX.  [I say "designed for" as it seems everyone has their own way of
actually /doing/ JMX MBeans -- Tomcat uses Modeler and others use
something different.  Me?  I prefer just subclassing StandardMBean --
but with my own value-add subclass thereof, of course :-)]