tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r763726 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/ha/backend: HeartbeatListener.java MultiCastSender.java Proxy.java Sender.java TcpSender.java
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 01:40:14 GMT
jean-frederic clere wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> jean-frederic clere wrote:
>>> It requires some new code in httpd-trunk to work...
>> sounds like you're reinventing the wheel in tomcat trunk to avoid
>> code in httpd trunk :)
>
> Not completely :)
> The logic in httpd-trunk is for a multicast socket I want to use a
> normal socket and a handler in httpd to process http requests from
> Tomcat.
what's a 'normal' socket? TCP?
do you wanna elaborate on what you are trying to do? There is plenty of
code in there, that if nothing else, you could copy/paste, the tomcat
way :), to avoid creating something new.

>> I'm fine either way, I just wanted to notify you of work that
>> probably already does everything you are trying to do, and some more.
>
> Well I have more in mod_cluster but I think a more simple "tool" could
> be nice too.
mod_cluster is in httpd-trunk now?

> If you think there is already some code in ASF give some pointers...
> I was doing a prototype, in the train after the ApacheCon, based on
> comments from Paul Freemantle and other httpd committers but not
> really searching if something already exists.
feel free to elaborate on what you are trying to do, then I can give
some better hints.
I think for one, you don't need to talk multicast, nor even TCP if all
you are trying to do is smarter load balancing.
That can all be done piggy backing on existing logic.
For example, instead of CPING/CPONG, like AJP does, this can easily be
achieved using the Expect/Continue headers.
You set your LB fail over timeout, send the HTTP request
Once you get your 100-Continue, you increase the timeout to process the
rest of the request.
This will solve most of the problems of Tomcat being in an out of memory
state, stale connections etc.

Right now, looking for heart beat, multicast senders, tcp sender, proxy,
sounds like you may be going away from KISS.

cheerios
Filip