tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: [GSOC] Filters & Async Support in Servlet 3.0
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 08:00:15 GMT
Anas Ahmed wrote:
> Two Scenarios of thread per request :-
> 1- if the request send  directly to server without filter:-
> When a connection is idle between requests, the thread can be recycled, and the connection
is
>                         placed in a centralized NIO select set to detect new requests
without consuming a separate thread.

the new async behavior in Servlet 3.0 is not related to the underlying
IO technology.
It has nothing to do with NIO or blocking IO. We should be able to
implement it using BIO without any issues, since its not IO bound.

Filip
> 2- if the request chain to filter :-
> when a connection is idle between requests , the thread is still allocated to the particular
request since the servlet 3.0 specification says :"A Filter and the target servlet or resource
at the end of the filter chain must execute in the same invocation thread"