tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Remove older of the two BIO AJP connectors
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 08:59:21 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:
>> I doubt you will get veto if this starts as module project
>> that can be used as drop-in component without changing the
>> overall API.
>>

> Under Tomcat umbrella we have now :
>
> - a Servlet container
>
> - an Apache/IIS connector (jk)
>
> - a native connector
>
> First guess, but I may be wrong, why not split in 3 projects ?

Don't think that's a smart way to move right now because
a) We simply don't have resources (community) for that.

However at least part of the native connector could in the
future go somewhere else (commons probably). I'm trying
to create one or two commons projects that would allow
more easier java/native integration, and if someone
creates a workable MINA based connector, native is
already in there.

JK is different, because we still don't know which
way to go in the future. If we came up with something
bright and shiny like JK3, and create enough community
we could ask for a TLP status and move the 1.2 native
code to that new project, leaving tomcat to what it
essentially is (servlet container)

Regards
--
^(TM)