tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: my proposal for "re implement tomcat valves as filters"
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:39:01 GMT
anas Ahmed wrote:
> I have posted my application on the GSOC site for the project "re-implement
> tomcat valves as filters"
> please give your suggestion and  participate with your ideas to make
> this proposal better

Feedback provided in the GSOC app and repeated below. Feel free to discuss your
ideas regarding these questions on the dev list.

Good first draft. There are a coupe of areas I would like to see more detail on:

   1. Impact of Servlet 3 and async processing.
   2. The filter requires a ServletContext at initialisation. How might you
      handle this for a filter defined at the Engine/Host level?
   3. Authentication will require access to Tomcat internals. Is a filter the
      right solution for these valves? What might a better approach be? What
      about JSR 196?

I would also suggest you spend a little time to build Tomcat from source
( Once you have Tomcat building,
I'd suggest looking at the AccessLogValve and how that might be converted to a
Filter to give you a better ide of the issues involved and how long things might

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message