tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r752584 [1/2] - in /tomcat/trunk: LICENSE NOTICE java/javax/servlet/resources/javaee_5.xsd java/javax/servlet/resources/javaee_web_services_1_2.xsd java/javax/servlet/resources/javaee_web_services_client_1_2.xsd
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:27:31 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 19:12 +0000, markt@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: markt
>> Date: Wed Mar 11 19:12:03 2009
>> New Revision: 752584

>> Log:
>> Add missing XML Schemas for Java EE Deployment Descriptors
>> Unlike the existing schemas, these files are CDDL licensed.
>
> I would like to understand why you bother with these CDDL nasty things.
> G probably may have them somewhere, but I don't see how this provides
> Tomcat with value.

Xml validation is broken without them and Geronimo didn't have any AL2
versions I could just copy. I'm working on getting xml validation fixed
before I start working on the new rules for web.xml fragments for
Servlet 3.0

Given that xml validation has been broken for all the 6.0.x release and
that no-one has complained, there is an argument for ditching the whole
functionality for Tomcat 7 onwards.

I haven't looked at the 3.0 web.xml fragment stuff in detail yet. There
is a slim chance that there may be something that requires validation
and/or having validation makes easier. If there is a preference to ditch
xml validation then I'd prefer to hold off until after looking at the
web fragment stuff in case validation has a use in Tomcat 7.

Mark