tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn repo layout for modules
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:37:22 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 17:44 -0700, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>
>> I would suggest
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/
>>   - site
>>   - tc6.0.x
>>   - trunk
>>   - modules              <-- ADD THIS
>>     - jdbc-pool
>>       - trunk
>>       - tags
>>       - branches
>>     - bayeux
>>       - trunk
>>       - tags
>>       - branches
>>
>> and move it away and out of (and get rid of) the tomcat/modules folder,
>> and let tomcat be tomcat.
>>

> My suggestion is to dump modules as much as possible, this is messy.
> JDBC should really be developed elsewhere beyond the experimental stage
> (Tomcat is not a DB project, thanks) and Bayeux should go to the main
> tree (if it works).

That is a contradictory statement. Tomcat is not a DB project, nor is it
a Bayeux project.
So the reasoning above doesn't make any sense if you look at it that way.

Tomcat is no longer the reference implementation either.

So there is nothing that prevents us from providing value add components
as long as we are willing to  maintain it.

ASF is community over code, its hard to grow the community if you never
add any code.
Tomcat JDBC would actually make TC 7 even more light weight since it is
smaller than DBCP.
Tomcat JDBC is not experimental either, its actually way more stable
than expected. Run it through let me know if you find any bugs.

So for modules, they are a good idea if we want to encourage people to
contribute to more areas.
as for the two modules, jdbc-pool and bayeux, I think they should still
be modules if we want to keep the core light and by being modules let us
fix bugs faster without releasing new versions of tomcat.

So from a code perspective you are right, from a community perspective
its not good at all to keep everything minimalistic.
Especially since you mentioned you wouldn't involve yourself in trunk,
then we are down by one resource. I would of course like for you to take
back that statement and rejoin in the efforts, despite differences, the
more is still the merrier

So I suggest to keep the modules here, mostly to encourage new
contributions to this project.

Filip