tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn repo layout for modules
Date Sat, 31 Jan 2009 04:10:02 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> It's getting spaghetti... If you really have to - no need to add 'modules' -
> just have them top-level ( i.e. under asf/tomcat ).

spaghetti is historical, all the directories from our older versions.
this really boils down to dependencies.
with the change in trunk to compile with JDK 1.6 (servlet spec
requirement) it no longer makes sense for modules that can run under
both tomcat 6, and future tomcat 7 to be part of tomcat-trunk
> What prevents you from tagging ? Tag is cheap AFAIK - just tag the entire
> trunk.

nothing prevents me from tagging, but if I create 'tags' and 'branches'
under tomcat/modules/jdbc-pool, then checking out tomcat, you will get
everything, and that is a pain in the rear
> I personally hate working with many small repos. I understand the need when
> you want different ACL and
> people. I've seen projects with 10x more code and components than tomcat
> happily under one repo
> ( and one source tree even ).

the entire ASF is under one repo, hence /repos/asf/...