tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: View towards refactoring changes?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:58:22 GMT
We once tried to merge them, it didn't pan out as we thought. They
eventually drifted apart.

They are probably better left as they are for now. The connectors are
fairly complex and start merging them will almost guaranteed break them.
The NIO connector for example, is spaghetti code heaven, with all kinds
of edge cases, that may seem easy to refactor but are not. but the code
works which is more important than that it looks pretty.
I'm planning on rewriting the NIO connector, but wouldn't dare to do
that in the existing code base, it would take a long time to restabilize
it again, instead I would create a sandbox project, and work on it there.

You can see in trunk, we've already done some refactoring by extracting
thread pooling code into outside classes.

Filip