tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Why are manager session tokens generated with MD5 by default?
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:02:16 GMT
Just turning the random number into a session id should sufficient and
we can forget the MD5 altogether. But if someone figures out the seed
and can guess future subsequent numbers, then they can guess future
session ids.

By using a hashing algorithm - it makes it impossible to guess what
numbers came from the random number generator.

If MD5 is so broken that a person can piece together a long enough
sequence of numbers to figure out the seed - and guess future session
ids - then we need to replace it.

But MD5 is not that broken.

-Tim