tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Logging in tcnative
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2009 14:00:07 GMT
Hi,

during syncing tcnative trunk with tc trunk I noticed the following
change to jni/Library.java:

http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/connectors/trunk/jni/java/org/apache/tomcat/jni/Library.java?r1=466585&r2=671153&diff_format=h

It includes a call to Throwable.printStackTrace() to ease error
diagnosis. So if we want to keep tcnative trunk and tc trunk in sync,
then we'll write to STDERR without using proper logging. This special
case is only during startup but it shows a general question: do we want
to establish correct logging in tcnative, and if so, which
framework/dependency do we want to use, juli (good for the use in
Tomcat, bad for others who would need a new dependency), commons-logging
or log4j, or ...

Of course we could do it in some clever way like using juli if available
and no log framework or java.util.logging otherwise.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Rainer