tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject tcnative API stability/compatibility
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:53:20 GMT
Hi,

we now have tcnative 1.1.x and trunk. What's our goal w.r.t. API stability?

Citing from an earlier thread:

>> > we do have a 1.1.x branch in tcnative which is supposed to be the stable
>> > brach.
>
> Ok. I thought this was still also used in 6.0. OTOH, the library should
> be renamed so that both v1.1 and this new incompatible one could be used
> at the same time, right ?
>
> Rémy

We have native and Java code in tcnative. I guess we are talking here
mainly about the Java side, i.e. the native one is the implementation,
which is only exposed via the Java code and the Java code represents the
API we do make public.

I expect we want the following situation:

- new methods can be added to tcnative trunk

- old methods are not allowed to be removed either from trunk or from 1.1.x

   Trunk will most likely result in 1.2.x versions, and code using
tcnative should be able to update from 1.1 to 1.2 without
incompatibilities. Otherwise we would already now decide, that trunk
will become a 2.x.
   Methods could get deprecated in trunk though.
   Exception: There are some methods which wouldn't have worked any time
in the past, because they refer to native functions that don't exist. I
think it is a good cleanup to remove/rename them now in trunk and 1.1.x.

Anyone fine with that?

Concerning the native side. What is the compatibility goal between the
Java code and the native lib? Do we want to urge each using software to use

a) exactly the same version of native, than the version of the Java code
b) the same minor version, but patch version greater or equal to the
Java side
c) the same major version and any minor/patch greater or equal ...

I guess we want a) or b), I think it's to early for c).

If we go for b) and trunk is for a 1.2.x version, we don't need to
support loading multiple copies of the native library. So I guess, b) is
what we should do?

Regards,

Rainer