tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Vijayaraghavan Amirisetty <amirisetty.vijayaragha...@gmail.com>
Subject How does tomcat handle IOExceptions thrown by the service method
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:44:04 GMT
Hi,
     I am writing a servlet by extending the HttpServlet class.
I need to over ride the doPost method to do some custom operations as
required by my web application.

I had a doubt regarding how Tomcat handles the IOException. Does it set the
HTTP response code based upon
the type of IOException that occurs while reading the request from the
client ?

eg, if the exception that occurs while reading the request message from the
client / sending the response to the client is
java.net.SocketTimeoutException, will tomcat set the status code to "408
Request Timeout", or do I have to do that explicitly ?

Thanks in advance,
Vijay