tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Bayeux/Cometd API question
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:01:26 GMT
Feel free to contribute any API changes you feel need to be added

Filip

fl-00@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi together,
>
> I've developed a Bayeux/Cometd application using the Jetty implementation running in
Tomcat 5. Development started several month back with no Tomcat Bayeux implementation available.
> With this setup the application works well for limited traffic but of course not for
high-volume traffic (since that way it can't really scale). I'm following the Tomcat Bayeux
development for several months now. Currently, I'm somewhat concerned about the Bayeux-API
differences between Jetty and Tomcat, and I can't see any sign/any attempt of unifying the
API (this prevents us to switch to the Tomcat Bayeux implementation and we need to even think
about switching completely to Jetty).

> I know that org.cometd.Bayeux is not a real standardized thing and it's being hosted
at mortbay.org. But are there any plans for the Tomcat implementation to catch up with the
latest (at least half-"official") API? Or even any vision of Tomcat/Jetty people pulling Bayeux/Cometd
together towards a common direction/standardized API (or even JSR)? The current situation
is somewhat unfortunate for a developer of a large Bayeux/Cometd application.