tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r719626 - /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net/NioEndpoint.java
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:13:46 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>
>> While cleaning up sounds tempting, it's been tried before.
>> I'd rather not do it, just for the sake of cleanup. The connectors have
>> way too many edge cases to work around, and they are fairly easy to break.
>> There are plenty of new features to add in for servlet 3.0, and cleanup
>> will most likely only destabilize and introduce new bugs, with nothing
>> or little gained
>>

> One area where I think there may be benefit is reducing the chances of failing
> to fix the same bug in multiple connectors. Anything other than where the code
> is identical between the connectors is probably asking for trouble.
>
> I'll take a look at this at some point (which may or may result in some
> patches), but there is plenty of other cleanup to do first.

as for your suggestion to remove the internal executor in NIO, the
executor, now that we have optimized it, results in a fairer handling of
requests since jobs submitted end up in a FIFO queue, so I still prefer
the internal executor as opposed to the synchronized/wait/notify thread
pool that doesn't shrink

Filip