tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tomcat trunk - changelog
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:07:03 GMT
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:49 PM, jean-frederic clere <jfclere@gmail.com>wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists
>> <devlists@hanik.com>wrote:
>>
>>  Costin Manolache wrote:
>>>
>>>  I never understood the use of the manual changelog - as opposed to svn

>>> with
>>> the release.
>>> for an admin that is about to upgrade, it's much nicer to have the
>>> changelog to see what bugs got fixed, what changes were implemented, then
>>> have to scan the SVN repository.
>>> the changelog. the changelog is widely used by admins during upgrade
>>> scenarios
>>>

>> Just include the bug number and links in the commit message. Whatever you
>> put in the CHANGES you can put in the commit log as well.
>>

> Well I don't agree because in several case a real fix only appears after
> several commits a changelog entry will be a summary of those.

I agree, it's better to split large commits to make them easier to review.
What about: in the last one commit in a series, add a

CHANGELOG: whatever you would put in changelog.

For small ones - don't. Then we can filter out the small ones.
If you don't know when the bug is really fixed - make a dummy submit:

"it looks like previous commit fixed it,
CHANGELOG: ...."

I don't know - it's not a big deal, I'm just  used with the source-control
automatically keeping track of the changes :-)

Costin