tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r708195 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net: AprEndpoint.java NioEndpoint.java
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:22:52 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 09:20 -0600, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>
>> -1
>>

> But it's a complex situation:
> - java.io maxThreads includes threads also doing keepalive, so it means
> the connector will perform very bad once maxThreads is reached; since it
> does not represent the number of threads actually doing something, it
> can be increased very liberally, it will only use some memory
> - APR maxThreads only includes threads somewhere in the applications,
> and the connector should continue running acceptably once this is
> reached; increasing maxThreads too much poses a risk of excessive
> locking in applications (access to pools, etc)

correct, I still don't see max threads as an error condition.
anyone ever managed an httpd server, knows what MaxClients represents,
same thing with maxThreads/BIO
however, tomcat does auto tune, by turning off keep alive when we reach
 >75%maxThreads in number of connections,
so 25% of the threads will never do keep alive in BIO
that's why I think it is INFO level, give them a hint that they can
tune, but its not an error, server works as usual
Filip