tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Karl R. San Gabriel" <>
Subject EL keywords - not and empty - and EL functions
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2008 03:34:27 GMT
Dear All,

Good day! I am a new guy and still adjusting to the TC project. :-)

I have noticed the fixes you wanted to put in to TC 6.0.18 for bug 46084
(duplicate of 45511) .

The ways the keywords "not" and "empty" (in duplicate bugs)  were used
in JSP files were like EL functions.
EL functions are different. They are static methods from Java classes
made exposed via the <function> XML tag in the TLD file.

TLD file:
       <function-class>Fully qualified class name</functon-class>
       <function-signature>void doItNow()</function-signature>

When we use "not" in the ff way:

we are using it as an *EL function name* (because no whitespace(s)
between "not" and "(" ).
It should not work because there is no declaration in the TLD for that
EL function "not".
Thus, the exceptions (please see desciptions of  bugs 46084 and 45511).

Karl San Gabriel

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message