tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat connection pool contribution
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:15:10 GMT
Remy and Yoav, I totally understand where you are coming from, and I
have thought about it for while before I suggested adding it here

1. commons-dbcp is very stagnant, they are not even accepting
performance improvement patches
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POOL-75

2. Remy's comment -"Tomcat does not do connection pools"
We sure do, the fact that we ship with one, means we do connection
pools. and we are in the job of refactoring commons-dbcp, and now you
can't even compile Tomcat with JDK 1.6, nor run it with JDK 1.6 since
the java.sql API's are not implemented. a user doesn't care of this is a
project from elsewhere, he/she just feels it is a hinder.

3. Yoav's comment - "I don't want to bloat Tomcat with extra stuff"
Depends on the definition of bloating, our hacks around commons-dbcp,
the size of the library (commons-dbcp-193k, new pool-36k) itself, and
the build script
we've already bloated our system with crud from commons-dbcp, not
working properly here
Look at the build script for commons-dbcp->tomcat-dbcp, that is *code*,
and that is bloat.

4. Going with the little piece of code (8classes) elsewhere is a bit
moot, the code is complete, it's not gonna attract a community based on
8classes. And that is why it would be awkward putting it anywhere else,
its not like this code is gonna grow and evolve into a large organic
project, hence within the ASF, it would be considered dead even before
it started.

I hear both of your concerns, and I will withdraw the proposal,
thanks for speaking up

Filip