tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: JK 1.2.27-dev snapshot
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:26:23 GMT
Mladen Turk schrieb:
> I'd like to tag and release 1.2.27 pretty soon (this week)
> Here is the release snapshot for testing.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/jk-1.2.27-dev/
>
> The binaries provided are for win32 for tester
> convenience. Please test, and if nothing bad found
> I'll tag the 1.2.27 in cca. 36 hours.

I justed committed a critical fix. If multiple requests trigger
initialization of the isapi redirector in parallel, then memory
corruption can arise. This has been observed in real production.

The problem comes from the fact, thatt the initialization is not an
atomic operation, but we don't do any synchronization on the threads.

I just now added a critical section (already committed), which fixes the
problem and will not influence performance, once the initialization is done.

Concerning multi process iis instances (i.e. web gardens), it looks like
there's more work to do, but that should be part of a later release.

Since there are so many changes in 1.2.27 and some of them are quite
tricky, I would suggest to do a longer testing than only three days. I
plan to write to the users list tomorrow, giving also a list of the new
features to increase interest in testing.

I like the idea of thoroughly testing snapshots before tagging, because
although version numbers are cheap (in subversion), user confusion also
easily arises from "missing" (i.e. non-released) versions.

Regards,

Rainer