tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: In-process connector?
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:16:02 GMT
Having looked into this further it seems clear Tomcat is not designed to
provide any reasonably reliable / easy-to-use means of making a JSP or
servlet request from within the process but outside a connector request
thread.  If one wants to properly do this it would appear one has to
call org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke() oneself --
with Tomcat Request and Response objects.  Ideally there would be a way
to instead implement HttpServletRequest and HttpServletResponse as
desired, mimicking remote client to the degree needed, get a
RequestDispatcher [from a cached ServletContext], and call forward(),
for instance -- possibly capturing the context class loader in a
ContextListener and setting that as the context class loader around all
this.  That /kind of/ works for include(), but skips all servlet filters
and does not work at all for forward().

I fully realize the servlet specification spells out no such mechanism,
but I believe there is a clear gap here.  One should be able to embed
Tomcat in an application and /easily /invoke a JSP or servlet to produce
an HTML e-mail body, for instance.  This should involve a minimum of
Tomcat-specific APIs.

It is hard to understand why one should be unable to re-use one's JSPs
and servlet investment to produce HTML for other purposes than HTTP
interest in addressing this need.

--
Jess Holle