tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Retries in mod_jk
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:53:52 GMT
Rainer Jung wrote:

> a) Refactor
> -----------
>
> I would suggest we move the retry handling of get_endpoint into
> ajp_get_endpoint() and derive any configuration options of the retry
> behaviour from the AJP 13 worker, not the LB worker.

That makes sense. It's a logical place for it.
Also the logical is to have a new directive for getting
the endpoint from the cache (some absolute timeout value
instead retries*retry_interval)

However there's a question of back config compatibility
where this was handled purely by loadbalancer number of
retries.

> 3) Retries in the Load-Balancer
> ===============================
>
> If no member of a load balancer works, we also allow for retries, so we
> start the whole searching for a working member from the beginning.
>
> Actually I think this is not really helpful. If all members are in
> error, it is very unlikely, that sleep and retry will yield a better
> result. Such a complete failure will last for some longer time and it is
> better to free the web server from the request, than insisting on retries.

I think this is very helpful. We didn't have that option earlier.
Having a sleep for a while, and start again could lead to recovery.

Regards
--
^(TM)