tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r701093 - /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/STATUS.txt
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:11:04 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 11:50 +0000, markt@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: markt
>> Date: Thu Oct  2 04:50:08 2008
>> New Revision: 701093

>> Log:
>> Withdraw patch for further work
>
> Even if it did not cause any regressions, why was it proposed ?
Because it is a bug and there is no other release branch to propose it for.
What is the point of users reporting bugs and us fixing them if we have no
plans to include the fix in a release branch?

> It is a
> minor issue (the guy who is impacted by that should consider packaging
> his application properly),
There is nothing to say you can't use symlinks for libraries. I wouldn't
package my app that way but if we are going to have an allowLinking
attribute then we should make sure it actually works.

 and the patch changes something which is used
> in many places
Indeed. That is a reason to fix it rather than to leave it in my view.

> (it likely makes listing folders an order of magnitude
> slower).
Directory listings are already horribly slow. There is a patch in BZ to
cache them which claims significant improvements.

> Tomcat 6.0 is supposed to be a stable branch, so I don't see how
> everything can be backported.
Until there is an alternative release branch, I don't see how every bug fix
can not be backported.

Tomcat 7 will be driven by the 3.0 spec timetable. You are on the EG, what
are the plans for 3.0?

Mark