tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Byte Serving and PDFs with the DefaultServlet
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:53:16 GMT
On 09/10/2008, vitor.swaid@embraer.com.br <vitor.swaid@embraer.com.br> wrote:
> Hello Mark, you are right.
>
>  The mime extension is not working on a case insensitive basis. Now my
>  Tomcat 5.5 does byte serving with the web.xml portion below:
>
>     <mime-mapping>
>         <extension>pdf</extension>
>         <mime-type>application/pdf</mime-type>
>     </mime-mapping>
>     <mime-mapping>
>         <extension>PDF</extension>
>         <mime-type>application/pdf</mime-type>
>     </mime-mapping>

<snip/>

>  Shouldn't mime type be case insensitive? Would this be a bug yet? As
>  before should this be placed on bugzilla or is this just a configuration
>  matter?

It would not be possible to change Tomcat to use case-insensitive
extension matching as that could break any existing installations that
rely on the current behaviour.  However, maybe there would be support
for optionally allowing case-insensitive matching. I suggest you
create a Bugzilla enhancement request for it.