tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r700170 - /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/STATUS.txt
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:06:04 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 29/09/2008, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>>  ThreadLocals and container classloader environments need careful handling
>>  to avoid memory leaks.
>
> I would have thought that was a good reason to keep the class - one
> only needs to get the code right once?
If you don't use ThreadLocal, the code is much simpler so there is little
to be gained by using a utility class. In this case of the two formats that
were still used, one class was using each. It makes more sense to me to put
the code specific to a class in that class and do away with what was a
broken, deprecated and little used utility class.

>>  In this case the pain to make sure there wasn't a  memory leak wasn't worth the
gain.

> OK, point taken w.r.t. using synchronisation - the code should be
> reasonably quick.
>
> But why not use an instance variable rather than a static class variable?
> If there is more than 1 instance, each instance will have its own lock.
> Which may share the load better.
Creating the object is likely to be more expensive than using it. True I
haven't tested it and if you have performance figures that suggest
otherwise then it may be worth changing.

Mark