tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: In-process connector?
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:02:09 GMT
I guess I should clarify.

I want Java code to do in-process requests to JSPs (etc) for HTML.

This shouldn't involve sockets or JNI -- just a plain simple mechanism
to take ServletRequest/HttpServletRequest and
ServletResponse/HttpServletResponse objects and toss these (in process)
at Tomcat and let it pass these to the normal FilterChain, etc, with the
output written to the response stream/writer.  Nothing terribly fancy,
but this would allow in-process use of JSPs to generate HTML for various
non-browser purposes.  Otherwise one is stuck with the unnecessary
dichotomy of generating browser HTML one way and all other HTML some
other way -- unless one forgoes any technology, like JSP, that relies on
the servlet API.