tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From hanan herzog <>
Subject context.xml Parameter values not updating without Tomcat restart
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:02:20 GMT

    I am using context.xml to configure my web application. But when I
change values in the context.xml, the application does not see the changes,
unless I restart tomcat:

Tomcat 6.0.18 (from distribution tarball, unmodified, except as explained
Linux (Fedora 9)
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-rc-b28)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)

I have a context.xml  in

With my browser, I go to http://localhost:8080/c to execute index.jsp  which is in
directory in ~/local/tomcat/webapps/c

The result is as expected, "valueONE".

But when I change the value="valueTWO" in the context.xml and re-run
index.jsp, the OLD value remains.
The application context is reloaded in some sense, but the new values of
context.xml are not available.

I thought the main reason to use context.xml is precisely so that
configuration changes can be made without having to restart the who tomcat

Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from the Tomcat - Dev mailing list archive at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message