tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Ward Comfort <icomf...@rescomp.stanford.edu>
Subject catalina.sh bug when JULI is not used
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 02:04:02 GMT
I believe commit 652629 (which appeared in 6.0.17) broke catalina.sh
startup when JULI is not used -- that is, when $CATALINA_BASE/conf/
logging.properties does not exist.  If this file is absent,
LOGGING_CONFIG is not set.  However the variable appears quoted in
the shell command to exec the JVM:

	"$_RUNJAVA" $JAVA_OPTS "$LOGGING_CONFIG" $CATALINA_OPTS ...

Which introduces an empty argument when LOGGING_CONFIG is unset, and
the JVM interprets this empty argument as the class to be invoked.

Three possible fixes are:

* Set LOGGING_CONFIG to a harmless flag if JULI is not used.  With my
Sun JVM, a plain -D is safe.  I don't know how portable this is.  It
isn't very pretty.

* Maintain separate JVM invocations for the cases when LOGGING_CONFIG
is set and when it's unset.  This involves more code duplication.
The code in question is already duplicated; I'm not sure whether that
argues for or against this strategy.

* Use a one-item shell array with an @ subscript, which is immune to
word splitting when between double quotes but expands to nothing when
unpopulated.  For example:

	LOGGING_CONFIG[0]="-Djava.util.logging.config.file=$CATALINA_BASE/
conf/logging.properties"

followed by:

	"$_RUNJAVA" $JAVA_OPTS "${LOGGING_CONFIG[@]}" $CATALINA_OPTS ...

This method may be too clever.  I think POSIX requires shell arrays
but being portable to true Bourne shell would require $@, which is
already being used.

I'd be willing to write up a patch if any of these methods seem
acceptable.

--
Ian Ward Comfort <icomfort@rescomp.stanford.edu>
System Administrator, Student Computing, Stanford University