tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat-Lite - part 1
Date Sat, 30 Aug 2008 22:23:12 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> I am interested to look at the code like the proxy, and see if what it
> can do.

I have been longing for a Java-based load-balancing proxy replacement
for Apache httpd.  Essentially with non-blocking IO it would seem high
time to replace Apache httpd with a Java-based web server that can then
use flexible, pluggable load balancing algorithms written in Java.

There are certain aspects of AJP that would seem nice to preserve (e.g.
the notion from a servlet API perspective that you are still receiving
the request direct from the client that the front end web server isn't
even there).  These could also be done in Java, of course.

The only other big nicety of Apache httpd is good LDAP authentication
(in 2.2) including support for authenticating a single resource against
multiple LDAPs, caching LDAP results, etc.

Do all this in Tomcat and then you could have a Tomcat front-end load
balancing over Tomcats without any need for the native annoyances of httpd.

--
Jess Holle

P.S. Yes, I like httpd compared to other native alternatives, but having
to do any builds and patches in native code, worrying about platform
nuances, etc, is such a nuisance compared to just using Java.