tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_balancer issue
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:48:35 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>> Jess Holle wrote:
>>> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a means of achieving background-only (or nearly so) testing
>>> of dead workers with mod_jk?  That's what I'm looking for in both jk
>>> and mod_proxy_ajp connectors.  I guess I was hoping/assuming it was
>>> there in mod_jk from reading the docs.
>>>
>> There is in the mod_jk (SVN trunk).
I've been reading this code now...

The watchdog thread looks very useful.  If I understand it correctly,
the watchdog thread can do whatever it feels like but currently mainly
calls wc_maintain, which will only do work at most every worker.maintain
seconds, right?

connection_keepalive does not look like it really my bill, though.  I'm
most worried about workers in an error state and ensuring that they are
rechecked every recover_wait_time -- but only by the watchdog thread and
ideally via a ping/pong.  Currently recover_workers appears to just put
workers into a recovery state where they'll be elligible to be tried
again on a future request -- without checking whether the worker is
actually accessible.  That's fine for some use cases, but explicitly
what I want to avoid.

Are there any thoughts to have an option to have recover_workers() do a
ping prior to returning a working to a non-error state?

And, yes, a watchdog thread in mod_proxy_balancer /and /a reasonable
means of balancer invoking a ping via mod_proxy_ajp would be really
helpful as far as mod_proxy_ajp is concerned.

--
Jess Holle