tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_balancer issue
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:14:17 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Jess Holle wrote:
>> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>
>> Is there a means of achieving background-only (or nearly so) testing
>> of dead workers with mod_jk?  That's what I'm looking for in both jk
>> and mod_proxy_ajp connectors.  I guess I was hoping/assuming it was
>> there in mod_jk from reading the docs.
>>
> There is in the mod_jk (SVN trunk).
Ah...  I'd been looking in 1.2.26.
> Add JkWatchdogInterval 60
> This will create thread calling maintain each 60 seconds.
How does this differ from worker.maintain?
> If you add
> worker.xxx.connection_keepalive=60
> it will fire a cping/cpong on all connections
> in connection pool that were not used more then 60 seconds
What about for load balance members with no established connections?  My
primary case here is a fairly large bank of ports which will be sparsely
populated with Tomcats.  I do not want normal request threads to spend
time seeing if the ports have "come to life", but I want a background
thread to do so periodically.

I'm thinking I'd want most of the workers being load balanced over to
start in a presumed dead state until the background thread discovered
they were alive.

Does this sound close?

I will take a look at the SVN code.  I take it there's no such code in
Apache SVN yet for mod_proxy_ajp?  [I did look there.]

--
Jess Holle