tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_balancer issue
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:09:57 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Jess Holle wrote:
>> I want to use mod_proxy_balancer to load balance over a set of ports
>> that potentially have Tomcats running on them.
>>
>> Unfortunately there will generally be a good number of ports where no
>> Tomcat is running.  Every 'retry' seconds I have a request that takes
>> about an extra second for each Tomcat-less port, which is not
>> acceptable.
>>
>> Has there been any thought or effort to provide an option to retry
>> dead/unresponsive members in a periodic background thread instead of
>> with normal, "live" requests?  I am currently very interested in
>> adding such an option if none exists, so I'd appreciate any thoughts
>> on the matter.
> See the August thread on httpd-dev
> (Mpm maintenance thread hook) where I proposed
> exactly that. Among other things it will be
> potentially used with mod_proxy for out-of-the-request
> maintenance (Status checks, connection recycle, etc)
>
> No major objections, so I'm actively working on that.
> Also mod_jk in trunk has the watchdog thread
> (Apache 2+ only via JkWatchdogInterval) that allows
> to maintain the connection pool, and together with
> worker.xxx.connection_keepalive it can send CPING/CPONG
> packets on regular intervals thus checking the connection
> validity unbound from request frequency.
> My plan is to add this logic to mod_proxy, but using
> mpm hooks.
I am quite interested in any progress you make here.  Do you have any
idea when you might have something testable in the mod_proxy area?

I'm quite willing to help, but you're clearly much more familiar with
both mod_jk and APR/MPM than I am, so I suspect I'd just get in the way
except at the testing level.

--
Jess Holle