tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_balancer issue
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 04:44:00 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:
> I want to use mod_proxy_balancer to load balance over a set of ports
> that potentially have Tomcats running on them.
>
> Unfortunately there will generally be a good number of ports where no
> Tomcat is running.  Every 'retry' seconds I have a request that takes
> about an extra second for each Tomcat-less port, which is not acceptable.
>
> Has there been any thought or effort to provide an option to retry
> dead/unresponsive members in a periodic background thread instead of
> with normal, "live" requests?  I am currently very interested in adding
> such an option if none exists, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on the
> matter.

See the August thread on httpd-dev
(Mpm maintenance thread hook) where I proposed
exactly that. Among other things it will be
potentially used with mod_proxy for out-of-the-request
maintenance (Status checks, connection recycle, etc)

No major objections, so I'm actively working on that.
Also mod_jk in trunk has the watchdog thread
(Apache 2+ only via JkWatchdogInterval) that allows
to maintain the connection pool, and together with
worker.xxx.connection_keepalive it can send CPING/CPONG
packets on regular intervals thus checking the connection
validity unbound from request frequency.
My plan is to add this logic to mod_proxy, but using
mpm hooks.

Regards
--
^(TM)