tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Kolinko" <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject An extra LF in md5 files for 5.5.27 candidate (Ant 1.7 vs. 1.6.5)
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:42:25 GMT
Hi!

I noticed that the *.md5 files in the candidate binaries for 5.5.27 release,
and also the ones in released 6.0.18, have an extra line feed
(CR-LF in 5.5.27, LF in 6.0.18)
between the checksum and the file name.

IIRC, for the 5.5.26 release it was corrected by hand
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=120179627509101&w=2

I tried to find the cause of it, and the following is what I've found:

1. The md5 files are generated by <checksum> task in build.xml in TC 5.5
and dist.xml in TC 6.

The generation is performed by <checksum> task followed by <echo> task
that appends the file name to the contents of the md5 file.

2. The change is caused by the difference between Ant 1.7.0 and its previous
version, 1.6.5. Implementation of the checksum task was changed, and now
prints a line feed after the checksum.

3. Possible ways to fix it:
a) If compatibility with 1.6.5 is required, one may capture the checksum value
into a property, and print it in the <echo> task.

b) If going forward with 1.7+, the checksum task since 1.7.0 does
support pattern
and format attributes. E.g., format="MD5SUM" will do the job.

Is Ant 1.6.5 compatibility required for Tomcat project?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko