tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: InstanceManager javadoc
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 18:02:55 GMT

On Jun 29, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Costin Manolache wrote:

> Also, is there any documentation (or anyone who can explain)
> DefaultInstanceManager.processAnnotations() ?
>
> Sorry, I'm a bit confused, lots of calls and structures.
>
> I'm interested in particular in the 'injectionMap' - from what I
> read, the
> method takes the name of the
> field ( say 'foo' ), and even if it has no annotations it'll still
> inject it
> if something named 'foo' is found.
> The injectionMap would have something like "foo"->"jndiNameForFoo".
>
> This seems pretty dangerous - my understanding was that you need to
> have an
> annotation in order to
> have the Resource injected.

you can also set up injections via web.xml.  Even without this how is
this dangerous?  The injection map isn't supplied by user code but by
server code.

I'm not sure if the standalone tomcat annotation support actually does
anything.  I wrote it to mimic the functionality of the original
standalone support (which again IIRC didn't appear to connect to
anything useful) when getting annotation/injection support to work in
a way useful to geronimo.  Geronimo uses xbean-reflect to handle
object creation and configuration which is a very elegant solution IMO.

I'll try to find some time to remind myself of how this works and
comment on it.... but it may be a while.

thanks
david jencks