tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Damien B <night.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JRuby sucked up the bath water but left the baby behind.
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:28:47 GMT
Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Clifton Brooks
> <clifton.brooks@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If, instead of interpreting JRuby, PHP, and Jython, Tomcat, or some
>> extensions for it, could compile programs in these languages into java
>> servlets, then all of the advantages of the Java world will instantly become
>> accessible to these popular languages.  This suggestion is analogous to the
>> .NET model which compiles any language into Windows only byte code.  Here,
>> any language compiles to platform independent, Java bytecode.
>
> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=292

I would have said http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=223 first, even if 292
is seriously needed performance-wise. JSR 223 was previously planned for
a grand release of PHP 5 + Java interop (look for early presentations of
PHP 5 five years ago, running on a J2EE server was touted as "out of the
box"). History knows it failed.

 >> If, instead of interpreting JRuby

JRuby is a bad example, since it's a JSR-223 implementation which is
able to compile Ruby to Java bytecode (see
http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/JRuby_Compiler ).

 >> This suggestion is analogous to the .NET model which compiles any
 >> language into Windows only byte code.

Well, not really, the .NET model compiles to the CLI, which is portable,
as long as you have the CLR for your target environment, so it's not at
all Windows only.

Otherwise, and old page that comes up from time to time:
"Robert Tolksdorfs Programming Languages for the Java Virtual Machine"
http://www.is-research.de/info/vmlanguages/

 >> Although I adore programming in Java, most web developers simply find
 >> it too difficult to learn.  They prefer PHP, RoR, and Python because
 >> all three are easier to learn and use without understanding.

There is an even easier language to learn :-D
http://jbasic.sourceforge.net/

Damien B