tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r663385 - /tomcat/current/svn15/tc5.5.x/
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 19:25:38 GMT

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> well, the docs doesn't make sense
> |/current/| <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/current>     Single
> directory checkouts for Tomcat 4.x and 5.x
> |/current/svn15|
> <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/current/svn15>     Single
> directory checkouts for Tomcat 4.x and 5.x using svn 1.5+ style relative
> links for the externals
>

> if I check out current, I get two directories with 4.x and 5.x, instead
> of what the docs say, I should get 4.x and 5.x since I am now also
> downloading current/svn15
You can fix that with a 1.5 client but since not everyone has one then that
does need to move underneath Tomcat to stop the issue. I'll move it to
tomcat/current-svn15 but if you have a better suggestion for a name then
feel free to rename it.

As a side note, I expect that eventually we will make svn1.5 the minimum
client version but we are a way off that point yet.

> on a side note, you get 3.3.x as well with current.
Yeah, 3.3.x is on the list to move to the archive area. This should be a
whole lot easier with the 1.5 client and shouldn't result in the mass of
commit messages we got when I archived 5.0.x

> I simply suggest that there is a more logical approach than naming a
> directory after a subversion version
<snip/>
> I all you want is another mirror using svn1.5 features for 4.x and 5.x,
> set up a structure for that, and use a name that is descriptive.
Given that the new dirs are for svn1.5, naming it current-svn15 seems
suitably descriptive to me. Better suggestions welcome.

Mark