tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r663385 - /tomcat/current/svn15/tc5.5.x/
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:06:58 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:

> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>>
>> Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> There wasn't any discussion but what is there to discuss?
>> I would change the choice of names and the SVN location,
>> for me looking at svn, I have no idea what current/svn15 means, and
>> when I check out
>> current (to get the 3,4,5 branches)
>>
>> I know what current/tc4.1.x means
>> I know what current tc5.5.x means
>>
>> but svn15? what does that mean, and how does it belong in current?
>
> Well, they could read the docs:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/svn.html
well, the docs doesn't make sense
|/current/| <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/current> 	Single
directory checkouts for Tomcat 4.x and 5.x
|/current/svn15|
<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/current/svn15> 	Single directory
checkouts for Tomcat 4.x and 5.x using svn 1.5+ style relative links for
the externals

if I check out current, I get two directories with 4.x and 5.x, instead
of what the docs say, I should get 4.x and 5.x since I am now also
downloading current/svn15
on a side note, you get 3.3.x as well with current.

> I don't mind what it is called. If you have a better name for it, feel
> free to rename it.
>
> I also don't mind where it ends up in the tree. If you prefer
> /tomcat/current/... and /tomcat/current-svn15/... then again, feel
> free to rename/move it.
again, I don't want to meddle in what you are already doing, or do the
corrections for you.
I simply suggest that there is a more logical approach than naming a
directory after a subversion version, and I also suggest to not create
more stuff to check out when I check out tomcat/current

what has also happened here, if I use svn version <1.5 I can't check out
current anymore, I need to check out current/xxx one by one

I all you want is another mirror using svn1.5 features for 4.x and 5.x,
set up a structure for that, and use a name that is descriptive.

Filip