tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log and throw exception [was: Re: svn commit: r656124 - /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net/jsse/JSSESocketFactory.java]
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 08:10:51 GMT
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>>          } catch (FileNotFoundException fnfe) {
>>              log.error(sm.getString("jsse.keystore_load_failed", type, path,
>> -                    fnfe.getMessage()));
>> +                    fnfe.getMessage()), fnfe);
>>              throw fnfe;
>>          } catch (IOException ioe) {
>>              log.error(sm.getString("jsse.keystore_load_failed", type, path,
>> -                    ioe.getMessage()));
>> +                    ioe.getMessage()), ioe);
>>              throw ioe;
>>

> I'd like to ask if it is really required to log the exception and throw
> it too.

Strictly, no - providing all the places that call this method log an
exception correctly.

> Code like this will lead to logfile flooding as normally there
> is some exception handling outside of the method which then handle the
> exception, rethrow it, or purge it - then with logging of the exception.

Not a major issue here - this error only occurs on start up.

> I think there is no need to log the exception if you rethrow it. If
> everyone along the stack rethrowing an exception also logs it, it will
> be hard to read the logs, no?

Not really - just blindingly obvious that there was a problem.

> Probably you can change the message so that it comes to something like:
>
> catch (FileNotFoundException fnfe)
> {
>     throw new FileNotFoundException(sm.getString(.....), fnfe);
> }

Yes but then you are reliant on the code outside this class logging
correctly. In the cases I have seen it does but since someone cared enough
to create a bug report for it I would rather err on this side of too much
logging in this case. Others may disagree - we'll see how they vote.

Mark