tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Generics and the spec interfaces
Date Tue, 06 May 2008 07:27:28 GMT
All,

As you have probably noticed I am doing some clean-up of the trunk codebase
as and when the opportunity arises. So far the clean has identified the odd
copy/paste error or casting problem as well as (hopefully) making the code
easier to read. The fixes for the errors are getting ported to 6.0.x.

I am currently pondering what to do with lines like this:
Enumeration e = request.getHeaderNames();

As I see it the options are:
1. Leave it as it is.
2. Use
Enumeration<?> e = request.getHeaderNames();
3. Use
Enumeration<String> e = request.getHeaderNames();
4. Use
Enumeration<String> e = request.getHeaderNames();
and modify HttpServletRequest to use generics
5. Something else.

I am leaning towards 4 on the basis that
a) This is trunk, not a release branch
b) This option generates no warnings
c) I assume the spec will start using generics at some point (maybe in 3.0?)
If modifying the spec interfaces seems like a step too far then 3 would be
my next choice.

Thoughts?

Mark