tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:03:57 GMT
Filip, this is a fairly rare case where I disagree with you ;)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists
<devlists@hanik.com> wrote:
>  simply because it requires changes, I like to think we work according to

It can be done without requiring any changes.

> "if it aint broke, don't fix it", and since the maven build doesn't give us
> anything the ANT build already does, then there seems to be little point of

It's easier.  That's it.

>  I suggest you go back in the archives, the comments you'll see this time
> around, will be the same when this issue was brought up last and was voted

Not true.  I, for one, spoke against it in the past.  Having used
Maven 2 for 2+ years, I now prefer it over Ant.  Moreover, I can
testify that it's saved me and my teams considerable time and resulted
in more consistent and cleaner builds.  I haven't even bothered to
subscribe to users@maven.a.o, much less dev@maven.a.o, I've just been
a pure user and it's been cool.

But like I said earlier, it's not worth disrupting the current Tomcat
build or source layout.  Only if it can be done without requiring any
changes, which it can.

Yoav