tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mavenizing Tomcat : Was: Osgifing Tomcat
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:27:29 GMT
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 22:09 +0200, Henri Gomez wrote:
> > Just a new thread to discuss about mavenizing Tomcat (OSGI Thread is
> > allready fully loaded and really interesting).
> >
> > Costin told us he didn't want to change the current source layout.
> >
> > Alternative to mavenizing tomcat could be :
> >
> > - add subdirs (for modules) and pom.xml and hack the source files
> > filters to get only what's required.
> >
> > - create a root pom and subdirs/pom.xml, and an ant task to fill a
> > mavenized targets directories where a standard maven build will be
> > done.
> >
> > Any more ideas or advices ?
>
> -1 for any change to the build in Tomcat 6.0.

I agree with Remy - adding a new directory and any xml/data  inside is
probably fine, but
adding support for Maven ( or Make or any other build tool ) shouldn't
require changes to
the current build - i.e. if you have to change build.xml or move files
around ( for the purpose
of supporting maven or any other tool ) - something is wrong with the tool.

Costin