tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Osgifing Tomcat
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:01:37 GMT
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Henri Gomez <henri.gomez@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Silly question, but did experiments with OSGI could be done, first, in
>  tomcatlight ?

I'm not sure it's the best idea, my goal is to move it out of sandbox,
it already has enough experiments
that need completion. and the main goal is to be 'lite' :-). It has a
simple Addon mechanism, and I don't mind
having an optional addon manager impl using OSGI - but I don't want to
get distracted, I started
 tomcat-lite  experiment >2 years ago.

The first part ( adding manifests to existing tomcat ) seems to have
support so could be done in the trunk.

I don't see any reason for having non-intrusive OSGI support developed
in sandbox - as long
as the code is in a package that is excluded from the official distro,
and is released as a separate
unit it could live in trunk.  It'll need the 3 +1 to be released, of
course - but the whole point of
 modularity is to be able to develop modules independent of the container.

IMO sandbox is for experiments that would replace existing tomcat
components or core stuff. If you do it in
trunk - it's easier to get it released eventually, and you may get
better reviews and attention.

Costin